A little more than two years ago, the wife of one of Antonio's co-workers was killed in an auto accident that was caused by a drunk driver. It came as a shock to the small and close knit company, and to me as this was the first time I became accutely aware that death happens to all of us. There was a wonderful quote on the back of her funeral program by Marianne Williamson. I've fallen in love with the quote and I feel like there is a lot of fundamental, eternal truth within it. So here it is for all to ponder.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
-Marianne Williamson 1992-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love this quote, too. It is often erroneously attributed to Nelson Mandela, but you are right that it originated with Marianne Williamson. I forget which of her books contains it.
ReplyDeleteTo be decent and good is hard enough. To be godlike is downright scary, because it requires a faith in ourselves and in our Creator that the light IS in us -- in all of us. Like Nephi in the Book of Mormon, I "rely wholly on the merits and mercy of Jesus Christ."
It's the only way I know to bring the Light to light.