Saturday, November 29, 2008

Another rousing episode of The Gambit Chronicles: I Love To Get Hurt. This child is a magnet for destruction and mayhem. We enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving with my family and Antonio's family all together. Great food, great company, great pie (thanks Mammie!) and we managed to escape the day without Gambit having some sort of injury crisis. Well, until right when we were ready to go home.

He was running down the hall and tripped. He landed right on his lip/face onto the corner of a bookshelf or table or something. I don't remember all the details of his shenanigans anymore. I was in the other room and heard him crying, but he went to Antonio for comfort. (Fine with me, I was busy playing games online...haha!) Suddenly I hear Antonio loudly calling for me. In that I'm-trying-not-to-panic-but-get-here-now voice. I run down and Gambit is bleeding profusely from his mouth. Upon closer inspection I can see that his bottom teeth have made a major cut on the inside of his mouth and just a small part went all the way through. I have to give myself major props and say that in all these crazy moments I've always stayed calm and haven't lost my cool. The wannabe nurse in me always takes over and I'm able to take care of the situation without freaking out because my kid is screaming and bloody. I decide that it's not worth it to go and get stitches (even though he probably needed them, I knew he would only get 2-3 and I didn't want to deal with the ER). Antonio held Gambit in his lap while I pinched his cut back together and held it for a bit. Not such an easy task to do when the cut is on the inside of someones mouth. It finally stopped bleeding and we headed home. Luckily the boys were going straight to bed so I thought it would give his mouth a little time to heal.

Apart from a major fat lip (it looks like someone punched him in the face) he's fine. The cut looks pretty nasty, but it's on the inside so no one can see it. I'm pretty sure it's going to leave a nice scar. Battle wounds from childhood, right? Seriously, I'm so done with all the injuries. And it's always Gambit! I figure we've been pretty lucky with only a broken bone and some bad cuts, but I don't really feel like pushing my luck any further. I'm afraid when he gets to school the teachers are going to be able to tell that he was constantly falling and hitting his head. It's got to be doing some damage! Hopefully he was born with a thick skull. If not, this poor kid is doomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment