Poor little guy broke his arm on Saturday evening. He was playing horsey rides with daddy, but apparently Gambit isn't a very good cowboy. He fell off and bumped his elbow funny. I guess he doesn't have a future in the rodeo! We took him to the urgent care clinic because I initially thought he had nursemaid's elbow (that's where a ligament between the upper arm bones and the lower arm bones gets moved to the wrong spot). The PA there tried (unsuccessfully) to pop his elbow back into place. After the fourth try, and Gambit screaming bloody murder, he suggested we go to the ER. Ugh.
Off to the ER we trot and luckily it was a quiet night and we were able to get right in. The doctor looked at his x-rays (which were done at urgent care) and found a small fracture at the head of the radius (the bigger bone of the lower arm). Because Gambit's arm was starting to swell at that point, the doctor didn't want to put him in a cast just yet. They made him a splint and put his arm in a sling and referred us to an orthopedist to see a few days later.
Sat night through today has been hell. Gambit can't sleep which makes him cranky, and I can't sleep because he's not sleeping which makes mommy very cranky. And with everyone cranky Ninja decides that he wants to be cranky too. Not a fun time in our house right now!
We went to the ortho guy today. He was really nice, and I was really hoping that he would take off the splint and see that his arm was healed enough to just let us go. As soon as the splint was removed I knew they were going to put a cast on him. His elbow and arm was still very swollen and bruised. They took some more x-rays to see how the bones were looking. I looked at the films with the doctor and was shocked to see that the fracture looked much bigger than it did on Saturday. I don't know if it actually did get bigger or if they just got a better shot of it, but nonetheless it was very easy to spot. He's now in a cast up to his armpit for the next four weeks at which point we will go in to see if he can have a splint for the following2 weeks or if he'll stay in a cast for a total of 6 weeks. Oh boy! He got to choose his color so his arm is now a neon orange color...that was pretty funny.
So far he seems to be doing okay, but we haven't hit bedtime yet so I'm bracing myself for the worst. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and he'll actually sleep with the cast. I'll post some pictures of him as soon as I've got them uploaded. I'm too tired and lazy to do it right now.
And HAPPY BIRTHDAY NINJA!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so sorry! Two emergency room visits in one year. What happened to your perfect record?! It's the worst when your child gets seriously hurt. I hope you guys get some sleep!
ReplyDelete