Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I'm not ready for this

Today will be day number 5 that Gambit has refused to nap. He's currently in his room, knocking on the door and begging to be let out. I'm really not ready to be done with naptimes. I would gladly take a compromise though. I would trade naptimes if he would potty train, but unfortunately, that doesn't look like it's in our near future. Do I even continue trying to enforce quiet time? It doesn't end up being so quiet. Listening to him crying and whining in the bedroom isn't really condusive to a relaxing afternoon. And I already have one kid who's flying around in capes shooting all the bad guys (right now he's Zat-man....whoever that is) I might as well let the other one loose as well. This makes me so sad on a whole bunch of different levels. My baby is truly growing up and it makes me sad that there probably won't be another (though not sad enough to actually have more). Naptime was my break in the day of the chaos and craziness that invariably comes with having young children in the house. So selfishly, I'm sad that I don't get that 'me' time anymore. But really, did I ever truly have me time? Alas, the kids grow up and move on to different stages as much as I want to keep them small and cuddled in my lap. Such is life.

5 comments:

  1. I would try for some quiet time if I were you. Give him some books and have him read on his bed-that's how quiet time started with Noah, and for the first while he would fall asleep after reading for a while. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea from Krystal. I always hated when they quit napping. Especially when Gloria quit at 1.5 years old. But really, it does go quickly. Soon, they'll both be at school and the house will be eerily quiet. (All right, really, I love that!)But you'll miss 'em anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're lucky he lasted so long. Mia stopped napping before she was two. I used to drive around in the car just so she would fall asleep. Try quiet time, it could work. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snooks doesn't always nap during his naptime. He sits (if you can beleive that) on his bed and reads his books to himself and plays with his toys. BUT he knows that when it hits 1 pm he is going into his room no matter what. Sometimes he doesn't nap because he has messed his diaper up. Also, he always enjoyed sleeping. Lets see our little Buzz ventures that train of growth. I say give him books and toys in his room but still pretend that he needs to sleep so tuck him in and sing his songs and but be stern that you mean naptime. I hope it works. Love you! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I'm so sorry. Does he fall asleep in the car? That's what I would do, but all of my children sleep well in the car. I can't believe that I've been so lucky that my 5 year old still naps!

    ReplyDelete