Monday, March 28, 2011

Why I'm so crazy....





I know you all think I'm nuts. But, here's another car seat post! If you have young children, you need to consider what I have to say here. If for no other reason, please read because you love me :) It's a little long, but so important.




I will say that I haven't always been into car seat safety. I didn't do everything right when Ninja was a baby, but somewhere along the line I learned, and it turned into mission for me. To help all parents ensure that their children are as safe as possible while riding in the car.




Last week in Utah, a 2 year old boy was killed in a car accident while riding unrestrained in the front seat. The van he was riding in hit a deer and had almost no damage to it. It made me sick to my stomach to know how very easily this tragedy could have been avoided.




I'm sure none of us allow our kids to ride unrestrained in our cars (and if you do, shame on you!), but not using a car seat correctly, or not having it installed correctly, or not using the proper restraint system for the age and size of the child can have just as devestating consequences.




Just a few days ago, a friend from the forums at http://www.car-seat.org/ was involved in a terrible car accident with her family. It involved hitting a concrete barrier and rolling their van. Take a look at what happened to their vehicle.






When you compare these pictures to the van above, you would never guess that all the people in this van came out of the accident with minor injuries, while the boy in the white van died. The three little girls who were riding in this van were all properly restrained in car seats. There mother is a certified carseat technician (as am I) and she wants their experience to stand as a lesson for those who minimize the importance of carseat safety. Her children escaped major injury (and possibly death) because they were in appropriate restraints that were being used correctly.



I've been talking about car seat safety a lot in the past week since the AAP made an update to their car seat recommendations. It frustrates me to realize how many people think these recommendations are "overboard" or unrealistic to adhere to. I know what it's like to turn a child forward facing for convienence, or putting a child in a booster before they are ready - either physically or behaviorally. I was that parent. But, a little education went a long way. I know now that my kids are riding in appropriate seats for their age and size. Their car seats fit their body, fit our car, and are used correctly EVERY time we ride in the car. I hope we are never involved in a car accident, but if we are, I know my kids have the best chance possible at avoiding injury or death. No one gets in their car expecting to be in an accident. But it DOES happen. Every day. To people who are good drivers and good parents. I can't control all the idiots who drive on the road. But I can control what goes on in my car with my kids.



Unfortunately, car seat safety isn't always simple or as straightforward as we would like it to be. Not every car seat fits in every car. The most expensive seat doesn't mean it's the safest. The safest seat is one that fits your child, fits your car, and that you will use correctly all the time. It takes time and effort to figure out what seat will be best for your child. Meeting with a certified technician to talk about your options and help teach you about your seat is a great resource (find one here). I know that time is something we all wish we had a little more of, but taking time for this is well worth it. It's information that could save your child's life.



Looking for information? Don't know where to start? The car seat lady has good, solid information, and I am part of the car seat community here.



Happy and safe driving!

3 comments:

  1. you are not crazy and I love this about you! :) you have made me more aware (although I still don't know how to install the carseats-Robby does that...) but way before they said kids should be rear facing till at least 2, I was doing it-all because you stressed the importance! So THANKYOU! I wish you were here though, to check out my seats in my car. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing to me that those kids made it out of that crash alive. wow! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you feel so passionate about something so important, and that you are keeping my grandchildren as safe as possible. Your post makes me want to share this information with mom's in my ward. I need to make our Relief Society (formerly known as Enrichment Leader) aware, so that perhaps you can come teach them.

    ReplyDelete