Friday, May 1, 2009
Motherhood - Why do we keep doing it?
I've got 5 kids over here right now. One 4 year old, one 3 year old, and 3 2 year olds. Yeah, pretty crazy. I started thinking about how I got here. Why in the world did I ever have kids? They are messy, bratty, poopy, snippy, and constantly break things. I've been on 24 hour damage control for the past 4.5 years. But, when it all comes down do it, I love these kids. More than life itself. I would do anything for them. Which is why I continue to plod through the monotonous days of daily parenting. For them. Because they deserve it and because they are worth it. But seriously, if someone would have told me what it was really going to be like. What being a mother really means, I honestly don't know if I would have taken the plunge. Perhaps that's why Heavenly Father blesses us with a certain about of naivete and amnesia. You know what I mean. When you are in the middle of pushing a kid out in labor and scream, "I'm never doing this again!" But lo and behold, there you are 2 years later in the same hospital pushing out another one. Selective anmesia is a very real tool for Heavenly Father. So while I whine and complain about my kids, and while I pine away for the days of sleeping in and carefree living, I look at their faces and think, "I would do it over again just to have you in my life." That's the truth about motherhood.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amen to that! I love the selective amnesia blessing. Hardest for me is when both kids wanting things from me at the same time that dinner needs to get done and people calling on the phone and I have some problem to solve on my mind. Then I feel like I am losing it. Whatever the "it" is. Sometimes it is snapping at the kids or neglecting the dinner or I feel all shaky in my body and head. Pretty pathetic. THEN I tell myself to breathe and let all things come what may. One breath, identify crisis #1 and take care and ignore all others. Anyway, it always seems that I panic even for a second before I do anything else.
ReplyDeleteIn other words, I guess I just think that I asked for it so I have got to deal with it.
Like you said, they are worth it all along.
Plus, without them we wouldn't get to hear our sons telling us we're beautiful even when we don't think we are. And all the sweet kisses and hugs and giggles. Come what may and love it right?
ReplyDeleteWell said!
ReplyDelete